Old image of Port of Gävle.

History

In 1491 Gävle city received the rights to carry out importing and exporting and that foreign ships could declare their cargo here.  Ever since that time, Gävle has been a significant maritime city in Sweden. In the 17th century regular shipments started running to southern Europe from Gävle.

During the 18th century Gävle bloomed as a maritime city. Traders grew rich on the large exports and lived in expensive homes in the city centre. The port area was full of people and ships from all over the world that could see all the various goods being loaded on and off the ships. Iron was one of the most important export products during this period.

During the 19th century Gävle was characterised by rebuilding after the large fire of 1869 (and) industrialisation.  During this period Gävle was Sweden’s 5th largest city and the largest in Norrland (northern Sweden). The city was a great shipping port and became an important commercial centre.

In the beginning of 20th century the grounds of the port where it lays today was built and the inaugeration took place 1905.

During the 1960s the oil terminal is opened.

During the 1970s the Granudden terminal is opened.

During the 1980s container gods starts being handled in the port.
The dedicated container terminal was inaugerated 2006.